What is Cholesterol?
Pasted Graphic

Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like substance that’s found in all cells of the body (see the yellow coloured cholesterol in the picture above).
Your body needs some cholesterol to make hormones, vitamin D, and substances that help you digest foods. Your body makes most of all the cholesterol it needs. However, cholesterol also is found in some of the foods you eat. Around 85% of the cholesterol that passes through your digestive system actually comes from the liver via the bile duct. The other 15% of our cholesterol is derived from foods eaten.


LDL & HDL "Cholesterol"
Pasted Graphic 1

LDL and HDL are actually NOT cholesterol, but more importantly they are protein bodies (HDL= high density lipoprotein and LDL= low density lipoprotein) that transport cholesterol to the various places it is needed for the bodies repair/maintenance. HDL is considered to be the "good" cholesterol and the LDL is considered to be the "bad" cholesterol in the outdated ways of thinking about these substances. Actually, the only bad cholesterol is the "small & dense" variety of LDL that is the product of glycation & oxidation (due to high sugar & carbohydrate loads). Therefore, reducing cholesterol levels just because they are measured to be high, does no good at all. The best remedy is to stop the glycation & oxidation of cholesterol by cutting way back on sugars & refined carbohydrates in our diets.

HDL Reverses Cholesterol
Pasted Graphic


——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

On The Lighter Side…..

Pasted Graphic 2